Supermarkets in Yangon

City Mart Supermarket YangonIf you are coming from neighboring countries of Myanmar, like Thailand, you would be really disappointed with the available supermarkets in (Rangoon). There are very few supermarkets in , compared to other Asian capitals. Moreover, most of these supermarkets in Myanmar quite small, and the available items are also very much limited.

The largest supermarket chain in Yangon and in Myanmar is the City Mart Supermarkets. It has more than ten centers in Yangon, including the larger Ocean Supermarkets. Apart from Yangon, there is only one City Mart Supermarket in Mandalay, and another newly opened one in Pyinmanar (Naypyidaw, the new capital of Myanmar).

You would be able to find a fairly good collection of imported and local products – food, drinks, dairy products, toiletries, cosmetics, liquor and wine in these supermarkets. Indeed, the range of items available at City Mart Supermarket is much more than at any other supermarket in Myanmar. The staffs at City Mart are also friendly and helpful. Open together with almost all City Mart Supermarkets is the Season’s Bakery which sells tasty bread and bakery at an affordable price. In addition, City Mart has the largest collection of wine and liquor in Myanmar.

Apart from City Mart Supermarkets, there are very few supermarkets in Yangon. Super One is a hybrid of Supermarket and Department Store. It has more variety of local products than at City Mart, but the choice of imported products is very much limited. Brand and quality of imported products are also not as good as in City Mart. However, if you are looking for a quality Myanmar product, this is a good place for you.

Asia Light used to be quite famous among Yangon residents in the past. However, its popularity has declined steadily in recent years. I used to shop here 10 years ago, but haven’t set foot in this supermarket for quite a long time.

There are a number of smaller store chains in Yangon but most of them are limited in the range of products they sell. Most of these also sell mainly cheap Chinese products. One such convenient store was Sein Gay Har Stores.

Here is the website link for City Mart Supermarket. According to their website, you can buy things online (I don’t know how you can pay for your purchase in a country where you cannot use credit or debit card), and they will deliver your purchase free of charge if you buy more than 100,000 kyats (within Yangon area).

26 comments for “Supermarkets in Yangon

1. Kumar
    October 7, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I want to know how to import items to myanmar

• October 7, 2009 at 5:59 pm

It depends on how many items you want to import. If it is a big amount, you might need to contact one of the import/export companies in Myanmar (Burma). Please remember, import license in Myanmar are tightly controlled by the government, and only a few companies can get hold of the license. This is especially true if the item in question is the profitable one.

2. kyawtunsein
    October 27, 2009 at 9:05 am

i want to know the vision and mission statement of city mart super market

• September 12, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Vision, Mission of City Mart Holding Co.,Ltd
      Our Vision : To be the benchmark of Excellence in the supply chain delivery.
      Our Mission: To be the leading retail market chain in Myanamar with the highest market share in each retail format.To pioneer breakthrough concepts in retailing relevant to Myanmar.

3. Betty
    April 16, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Not like business entities in other country, those in Myanmar are less transparent…we cannot see much information of organizational structures and history of them on CityMart’s website

4. matee
    June 30, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I want to know how many supermarket in myanmar

5. August 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

Can I have a City Mart Supermarket email address? I’d like to deal a business with them. Thank you for your kindness.

6. Alex
    October 18, 2010 at 11:12 am

Can I have city Mart supermarket email address also?
    I intend to ask their intention to import foodstuffs, packaing material from Malaysia. Thanks

7. jasmine joyce
    December 18, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Can i have City Mart supermarket email address , i like to check whether they are keen to import my cosmetics products.

8. Moe Ma Kha
    April 28, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I would like to know the consignment % of the supermarket in Myanmar.

9. April 3, 2012 at 9:21 pm

We are looking for distributor in Myanmar for USA made products. Someone can help us ?
    Contact us soon for huge profit cooperation.

• Binh Vu Thanh
      December 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Dear Mr Tran,

I ­would like to be your distributor in Myanmar, pls tell me more to understand about your products. Kindly to let me know­ about your ­­­­website.
      Pls contact me at VietNam phone : 0084 903434261
      My name : Ms. Vu Thanh Binh
      Company name : VIETNAM ARG­RO
      Office : 30 Nguyen Du Str, Room 402, Hoan Kiem – Hanoi- VietNam.

Thanks and best regards,
      Binh

10. Moe
    June 15, 2012 at 11:11 am

Actually a visit to the office of supermarket would yield answers for all your questions, they are a friendly and professional bunch.

We provide professional business services for new companies and enterprises to Myanmar.
    Introduction to private organizations, government ministeries, Myanmar companies, and NGOs.
    We can make all your arrangements for an effective business study trip to Myanmar, no more wondering who are the right people or milling around hotels.
    Just tell us who you want (or what sort of organization/person and we will tell you if its possible and then set you up if it is)
    Company incorporation, accounting services, auditing and general consultation.
    Right now we are facilitating for American, Japanese, Indian companies and NGOs (I also worked at a NGO for 7 years so I know my way around that particular sector too)
    Please send an email to moelwin999@gmail.com to explore the possibilities.

Moe & Tun Associates

11. Nguyen Van Phuong
    August 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Can I have City Mart Supermarket email address? I’d like to deal business with them. Thank you for your kindness.

12. Fuji
    September 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Dear Moe;

I’m from Vietnam,months ago we have inspection trip to Myanmar and particularly interested in the supermarket sector. We have meet 1 supermarket owner to discuss the importing of healthcare product from Vietnam. Product: Baby/adult Diapers; Wet tissues, Napkin (these product is made in Vietnam via licensed from Japanese and currently the leading market share in Vietnam)

We need your advice to get more importer/retailer who can buy from us.

Please contact me as address: phusicontact@yahoo.com to discuss further on the cooperation.

Thanks

moelwin999@gmail.com

13. Myo
    September 16, 2012 at 12:41 am

Pls contact to City Mart Holding incorporated in Singapore for your purpose of contact.
    I don’t HV their contact info at my hand but you can Google.

Myo

14. Myo
    September 16, 2012 at 12:42 am

I don’t have their contact info at my hand but you can Google.

Myo

15. January 1, 2013 at 2:26 am

Hello,

We are substantially big FMCG company,with 11 offices worldwide.
    Would like to offer FMCG products in buyers private label.
    Please let us knwo your interest.We provide private label solutions to few big retailers in the world.

Regards

Ravi

16. January 1, 2013 at 2:27 am
  17. Nandar
    January 16, 2013 at 6:50 am

I find this article very misleading. While City Mart has many supermarket chains across the city, Sein Gay Har is NOT, I repeat, NOT, a convenient store. In fact, Sein Gay Har is one of the few major department stores in Yangon, alongside Gamone Pwint or Capital Hypermarket. Asia Light and Super One are less of a competition for City Mart than Sein Gay Har or Gamone Pwint would be.

18. January 16, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Creation Myanmar Company Ltd (Orange Supermarket) မွ ပိုင္ရွင္ ဦးပာန္ၾကည္ မွ ၀န္ထမ္းမ်ားအား လစာတိုးေပးမည္ပာု တရား၀င္ေၾကညာျပီး ယခုလတြင္ ၀န္ထမ္းမ်ားအား ပံုမွန္ရေနေသာ လစာထက္ေလ်ာ့ခ်ေသာေၾကာင့္ ၀န္ထမ္းမ်ား လစာရရွိသည္႕ေန႕တြင္ ၀န္ထမ္းမ်ား မ်က္ရည္က်ခဲ့ရသည္ ပာု Orange Supermarket တြင္ အလုပ္လုပ္ေနေသာ ၀န္ထမ္းမ်ားမွ သိရွိရသည္။ ထိုသို႕မတရားမွဳကို Orange Supermarket တြင္ ၀ယ္ယူေနေသာ Customers မ်ားႏွင့္တကြ ျပည္သူလူထု အားလံုးသိရွိေစရန္ တင္ျပအပ္ပါသည္။

19. Benchawan Cheakchan
    July 23, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I would like to send my job application so please let me know your email.I had worked at Orange supermarket as the position of District operation manager.

20. christinamoon
    July 30, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Termpaper အတြက္Data လိုခ်င္ရင္ေက်ာင္းေထာက္ခံစာနဲ႔လိုခ်င္တဲ႔အခ်က္အလက္ေခါင္းစဥ္ေတြတင္ခဲ႔ပါတဲ႔ ခု၁လေက်ာ္ျပီ Data မေပးေသးဘူးလား ကိုယ္ေတြလဲေက်ာင္းေနခဲမွာဘဲေလ ေက်ာင္းသားေတြကိုစာနာေပးပါ သူမ်ားအဖြဲ႔ေတြအေခ်ာေရးျပီး စာစီေန ျပီဘြဲ႔မရရင္တစ္ဖြဲ႔လံုးကိုတာဝန္ယူမွာလား ခုတနၤလာေန႔တင္ရေတာ့မယ္ ေက်းဇူးျပဳၿပီးဒီစေနကို data ေတြေပးပါ

21. christinamoon
    July 31, 2013 at 12:22 am

ေက်ာင္းသားေတြက အေရးမႀကီးလို႔လား ေက်းဇူးျပဳျပီးျမန္ျမန္အေႀကာင္းျပန္ေပးပါ Data ေတြေပးပါ ဝန္ထမ္းေတြမအားသလိုေက်ာင္းသားေတြလဲမအားက်ပါဘူး ဘြဲရမွျဖစ္မွာပါ ဘယ္သူေသေသငေတမာရင္ျပီးေရာဆိုတဲအတိုင္းကိုယ့္အက်ိဳးကိုဘဲမႀကည့္ပါနဲ႔ orange supermarket မွ လ်စ္လ်ဴရႈမႈကို customer မ်ားသိေစဖို႔တင္ျပပါတယ္

22. November 11, 2014 at 7:08 pm

i have mushooms and seafoods i want consignment in myenmar
    i live at thailand.