Guest houses in Kanpetlet, Chin Hills

Oasis Mountain Resort

Mountain Oasis Resort, Kanpetlet

Kanpetlet is, for me, the most beautiful town in the whole . It is also a tourist attraction, the only tourist attract in Chin state, apart from nearby Mindat, although the yearly visitor is probably less than 100. There is the famous Mount Victoria with Natmataung (Khawnuthom) National Park which is the largest wildlife sanctuary in Myanmar.

There are currently two guest houses in Kanpetlet. They are actually small resorts located in a beautiful location high on the mountain and deep in the forest (more correctly a jungle). Both of them are located a few miles away from Kanpetlet town, and on higher ground that the town. They are also just a few miles away from the base of the Mount Victoria.

Oasis Mountain Resort - Bungalow

Bungalows of Mountain Oasis Resort

The first one, Mountain Oasis Resort, is a collection of a few bungalows. Each bungalow has either two or four beds with attached bathroom. Currently, there are now about 10 bungalows. There is also a restaurant which serves nice Burmese, Chinese and European food. Breakfast is included with the room fees. For lunch and dinner, you can order half day in advanced. Electricity is provided by generator at night until 10 PM. No hot water is provided for shower. Room rate is currently at US$ 20 per person (not per room).

Another one is Pine Tree Resort. It is a brick building with twin bed rooms and attached bath room. No hot water shower is provided. There is a small restaurant at the but I never tried this one. Breakfast with included with the room fees of US$ 20 per person. Electricity is also provided at night time with generator.

Both of them are nice, clean and cozy. Staffs are friendly and helpful. Scenery is also very beautiful and location is also good, easy to reach both the town and the Mount Victoria in a few minutes. The only point that is missing here is the heater or warm water. It will be very nice to have a warm shower when the temperature is freezing cold and you are very tired, dusty and dirty from your travel.

21 comments for “Guest houses in Kanpetlet, Chin Hills

1. February 24, 2009 at 6:46 am

As a nature enthusiast, I would love to visit this place one day. Thank you for the introduction to Kanpetlet.

2. harrybawi84
    April 29, 2009 at 4:19 pm

hi ilove chin land

3. May Thet Mar
    May 19, 2009 at 5:24 am

If I ever visit Burma again, I like have a chance to go to Chin Hills. It is so sad that such a beautiful place is really poor. I wish it will be developed one day. Thanks for the info about guest houses.

4. nweni
    June 21, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Mountaing oasis resort kanpetlet မွာတည္းခဲ့ရတာအရမ္းအဆင္ေျပပါတယ္။မန္ေနဂ်ာနဲ့၀န္ထမ္းေတြရဲ့ေဖၚေရြွ မွု့ေတြကလဲအရမ္းအဆင္ေျပခဲ့ပါတယ္။ခ်င္းေတာင္တန္းေတြလွပမွဳ့ေတြကေမ့မရနိုင္ပါဘဲ။နတ္မေတာင္ေပၚကၾကည့္ လိုက္ရင္ေတာင္တန္းၾကီးေတြကေဂၚဖီထုတ္ၾကီးေတြလိုအရမ္းလွတယ္။နတ္မေတာင္ခရီးစဥ္ကဒီတသက္ေမ့နိုင္ေတာ့ မွာမဟုတ္ပါဘူး။

Translation by the Myanmar Today Team: “It was very convenient to stayed at Mountain Oasis Resort Kanpetlet. Manager and the staff are also very friendly. The beauty of Chin Hills is also unforgetable. From the summit of Natmataung (Mount Victoria), the mountains were like cabbages; very beautiful. The trip to Natmataung (Mount Victoria) will never be forgotten the whole life.

5. July 28, 2009 at 1:22 pm

I would like to comment Natmataung (Mount Victoria). I am one K’Cho or KCho from Mindat. The name, Natmataung ( In Myanmar ), has been done direct transaltion into Burmese. The word, Natmataung, comes from Khawnu Thum. The real meaning of Khawnu Thum is the biggest or the tallest mountain. Natmataung means the female god or spirit of the mountain. You can find the difference between these two words. As We are Native of Khawnu Thum , I disagree to call Natmataung, we prefer Khawnuthum or Mt.Victoria. This is the way to pay respect the land and its people.

K’Cho Pa ( Mindat )

6. Rita
    August 27, 2009 at 1:55 am

Is it possible to go on your own to Kanpelett or Mindat ? (I mean if you have a driver from that region and a car?) or do you need an agency?
    And do you still need a permit for both towns
    Thank you for a reply by this website.

• August 27, 2009 at 6:41 am

You need a special permission to go to either Kanpetlet or Mindat. Both of the towns are in restricted area. You need both permission as well as an approved guide.

7. Rita
    August 29, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.
    Another question: one agency gives me a program only for Bagan-Mindat-Bagan(total of 5 days – visiting only 2 villages around Mindat but overnight in the local villages) another agency gives a program from Kanpelett villages and Mindat (villages) and return to Bagan (but only overnight in guest houses from Kanpelett and Mindat.
    Contact with local people is for me very important. Which would you recommend?
    Thank you very much for your help and suggestion.

• August 29, 2009 at 6:17 pm

If you could get, try to stay overnight in a village in either Kanpetlet or Mindat. The guest house in Mindat is just a basic one so there is no luxury. Kanpetlet guest houses are better and more luxurious (compared to local standard). For meeting the locals, the guest house in Mindat is inside the town, just in front of the main market, so it is easier to see the local life and meet with the local people. Kanpetlet guesthouses are more like resorts, outside the town, in the jungle. Your travel agent will bring you to see the small Kanpetlet town, but it is just a very small town with a small population of 2,000. It is better to visit both towns, but you should also ask for a stay in a local village for a night (it will be a memorable experience).

• T. L. Saw
      October 1, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Rita,
      Retell again about Kanpetlet!
      There is not worry. People are nice. All denominations are having each other together. Mostly, Buddhism and Christian are the most population. I am from Kanpetlet. I had visited only one after to there after I had left fot 17 years. Now, I am living in a beautiful City of United States of America, San Antonio, Texas for 9 years. I am planning to go there for mission trip with one of my friends from San Antonio in this coming November 2016.

8. Rita
    August 29, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Additional to my former email: luxury is not an option – it is not ethical towards the local people.
    Thanks for your adivce

9. Rita
    August 30, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Thank you very much for your honest information. Do you also know if there are small guest houses in Kanpelett? If yes, which ones?
    So I can ask the travel agent to make reservation in the small guest house of Kanpelett rather than the resort out of town.
    Because I did not ask for a resort.

• August 30, 2009 at 7:21 pm

There are only two guest houses in Kanpetlet – Mountain Oasis Resort and Pine Tree Forest Guest House. No other guest house in the town.

10. Rita
    September 1, 2009 at 5:34 am

Thank you very much for the information.

11. March 22, 2010 at 10:44 pm

First of all,I am gonna introduce about myself before we do comment this.I am one of the nativer town of kanpetlet and I am very happy to possess this preciously mountain like Mt.Victoria which is located in near of Kanpetlet,not only but also belonged by Kanpetlet territory.If you visited there you can see and amaze that warmly well-come of the YIN DU DAR people as well.Thank you so much for your being with us.PLS VISIT HTTP//PETERLINGPAING.BLOGSPOT.COM.

12. anna
    February 23, 2011 at 5:19 am

Kanpetlet must be a beautiful place, as you describe it ! I really am jealous of my husband who is there today and will visit Ayesakan and Mindat tomorrow and the day after! I hope to go there myself one day !
    Good wishes for all of you there !

13. Kyron
    May 17, 2011 at 8:44 pm

If I want to visit Kanpetlet or Mindat, is it possible to get permission and an approved guide once i’m in Mandalay or do I have to organise it before I arrive in Myanmar?
    Thanks

• May 17, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Due to unpredictable nature of the approval process, it is best to arrange the trip before arrival to Myanmar with your tour operator. It may take weeks depending on the political situation and the connection of your tour operator.

14. y
    January 12, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I was born in Kanpetlet. I Love Chin State..

15. May 24, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Can I Get the Mountain Oasis Hotel’s Phone Number ?

16. Ms.Khin
    June 22, 2016 at 3:05 pm

can I get contact number of Mountain Oasis Hotel? Our clients want to visit chin state and want to stay there 3 nights. please reply me urgent.