Falam – Former capital of Chin Hills

Cathedral from

Main road in Falam

Falam is the capital of Falam District, Northern Chin State. There are two districts in Chin State, Falam in the north and Mindat in the south. Falam, Tiddim, Tunzan and Htantalan constitute Falam District.
Before 1965, Falam was the capital of Chin State. However, in 1965 the then Chin State Administration (Chin Uzi) decided to move the capital from Falam to Hakha which is in the center of the state and has potential to expand. Ironically in fact, the Chin State Administration was not moved from Falam, but from Kalay which was in Sagaing State, to Hakha. Although Falam was no longer the capital, it nevertheless retains part of its former glory. There are some two and three storied brick buildings in Falam, and a large and grand Baptist church in the center of the town.
Falam was built on the slope of a mountain range, in multiple steps. The town is quite clean and tidy. Girls from Falam are famous to be the most beautiful in the whole Chin State.

Almost all the people from Falam are Christians, with majority being Baptists. The living standard is quite high too.
Near Falam, you can visit and pay homage to the monastery where famous Buddhist Monk U Ottamathara once lived.

16 comments for “Falam – Former capital of Chin Hills

1. frank
    January 28, 2009 at 4:51 pm
  2. February 4, 2009 at 12:49 am

It reminds me my life in Falam. I really love Falam town and the hospitality of the people. I am planning to visit again and hear the word “Kan-lo-ngai-tuk” We love you so much!
    Lalpu
    USA

3. Siangte
    February 10, 2009 at 9:09 am

Thank you so much ! I really like Falam,too. Falam is the best city in the whole Chin State. I really wanna visit that Falam again and again.The weather is cool in there. The peoples are cool and Falam is the first capitol in Chin Land.

Siangte,
    USA.

4. salaiZ
    March 28, 2009 at 8:55 am

Thank you for your effort to bring a glimpse of beautiful town in Chin State. Being a mountainous State, you will find breathtaking panoramic scenes wherever you visited.
    Sadly, people are fleeing their beautiful home land due to abuses, unlawful prosecution by authority worsened by recent famine from bamboo flowering outbreak.

Nevertheless, Chin Land will remain beauty forever and ever.

5. Ceu Aa
    September 15, 2009 at 6:13 am

Thank you thank you !!!

Falam Falam !
    I’m Hakha but i love Falam better than Falam becuase i live in Falam.
    Falam is very beautiful town and the capital of Chin State..

FALAM PRIDE IS HIGH!!

6. DANIEL
    October 26, 2009 at 11:49 am

iF YOU KNOW A NEW NEWS PLEASE WRITE

7. tulipar
    February 15, 2010 at 8:03 pm

where by you know not yourself who actually you are …. anyway you have done your best ………

8. sante
    April 21, 2010 at 6:07 pm

can you please write more about Falam? like Falam customs, traditions, language, religion,music and entertainment, food, Beliefs and a bit about politics…
    coz i really want to know about it and yes, you write it some of them but can you write with more information or more detail?……….

9. Betsy Wellings
    May 6, 2010 at 7:34 am

Can someone help me figure out if these are from a Chin dialect, and if so which one?
    Kho poek rhaai koel kai rah saya rhoek

Lamdang sakzah dong ding a ahoih kote sya tung ah lungdam

• November 1, 2010 at 10:25 am

i’m sure the second one is tedim dialect.

• December 31, 2010 at 10:20 am

“Lamdang sakzah dong ding a a hoih kote Sya tung ah lungdam” is Tedim Dialect and it means “Thank you to our very wonderful teacher”. It is very official and formal. No body speaks like that. I mean it’s not a spoken language.
      Lamdang= awesome, peculiar,great.
      kote=our.
      lungdam=thank you.
      hoih=good.

The other words are grammatical words.
      Lungdam mahmah

10. December 28, 2010 at 8:21 am

oh……..falam where are you now…fine for my life in the langues…….

11. ဆရာ၀န္တဦး
    May 3, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I worked as a doctor at chill hills .
    Falam is the place I like best there .
    So many beautiful sites and many interesting things….

12. December 16, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I love former Chin Hills Capital City Falam. It’s the most nice and best city ever in Chin Hills.

13. Linda Watkins
    February 9, 2017 at 10:18 am

Hello, can anyone tell me about the market(s) in Falam? Is there still a store called Mama Store? thankyou for your help. I am coming to Falam soon and I am trying to find someone called Lalro Puia, whose mother used to run this store. Linda