Gmail, Yahoo mail and Myanmar

Visitors to Myanmar would still remember the feeling of totally cut off from their friends and families outside Myanmar (Burma). Telephone call to foreign countries from Myanmar (Burma) is quite expensive. Mobile phones are not readily available until recently (when the government introduces a new prepaid GSM mobile phone cards), and all those popular web mails are blocked in Myanmar. If you are using Gmail or Yahoo mail as your primary contact email, you are now in deep trouble. You cannot access these mails from Myanmar, and you are totally disconnected. All you will see is a welcome screen of “This website is blocked by your ISP”. I am deeply sorry.

However, please keep calm. You are not totally disconnected. There are ways to connect with your friends via your favorite mail. Myanmar people are genius at improvisation when resources are scarce. Email and internet is no exception. All you need to do is head to a local internet cafe which is now quite easy to find in Yangon (Rangoon) and Mandalay (but still a rarity in other cities), and ask the owner that you want to use your gmail. More often than not, he will be willing to show you how to bypass the ISP ban on gmail. Indeed, almost all the internet cafes in Myanmar install or provide some program or proxy website to bypass the ISP ban on gmail. (They have to. Otherwise, there won’t be any customer at all). Usually, this is done by a popular “Freedom” software which is a proxy software to bypass the ISP firewall, or by using https protocol in gmail. For reasons nobody knows, Myanmar ISP does not block this https protocol from Gmail. (Or may be they cannot). Anyway, until now, users of gmail in Myanmar can still bypass the ISP ban on gmail by these methods. (Although it can changed overnight). However, due to a limited bandwidth of internet connection in Myanmar, use of a proxy software is painfully slow, and cut off many time. So it is better to use the https protocol in gmail. It is also more secure. For Yahoo mail, one solution is to use the mobile version of the Yahoo mail, as it is not blocked in Myanmar.

Although the internet in Myanmar is painfully slow, and most popular webmails blocked, it really is a relief for everyone that you are still accessible to your email, and hence the world.

24 comments for “Gmail, Yahoo mail and Myanmar

1. Patricia
    June 28, 2009 at 9:40 pm

So is it possible to access the www in Yangon? I’m taking an online course and don’t want to get behind on my assignments while in Myanmar. Will I be able to connect to my school’s server at an Internet cafe?

• June 29, 2009 at 11:13 am

Yes. I believe your school server is not blocked and would be accessible from within Myanmar. However, if your server uses ports other than port 80, it might have some problems. Please also bear in mind that your internet cafe might also install screen capture software, so whatever you see in internet cafe, be careful.

2. Mist ray
    July 13, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I am Myanmar.I totally know what are you saying.MPT and Bagancyber bandwidth are really suck.We need good ISP.
    Is there anyone who can provide good ISP in Myanmar.
    Like wire less connection.

3. Jonah
    February 7, 2011 at 8:10 am

Do internet cafes allow you to plug in your own laptop?

And also, I’m very curious how much the situation has changed in the past 2 years

• February 9, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Some internet cafes might if you are their regular customer. Most will not. Internet speed is a bit faster (read less slow) but not much change.

4. HenryT
    February 25, 2011 at 6:59 am

How is the e-mail situation in Myanmar now ? I’ll be coming to the country in May, and am anxious to know whether hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail are usable ?

• February 25, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Emails are accessible through proxies. For gmail, use https instead of http. For yahoo, use m.yahoo.com (Yahoo! Mobile). I don’t know about hotmail as Myanmar people rarely use hotmail.

5. BruceMoon
    March 19, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I’m in Myanmar right now. I’m finding that in most major centres where tourists go, a slowish form of broadband is available (eg. Yangon, Mandalay, NuangShwe, Bagan).

As for access to email sites, anything with the term ‘mail’ (and the other majors) needs a proxy for access.

I’ve found that when shown the term ‘site access denied’, the net cafe ‘manager’ will use a proxy to get one ‘hooked’. I’ve yet to have any problems.

– – –

As for using a laptop, I’ve seen it quite often. So, it’s merely a matter of negotiating same with the net cafe ‘manager’.

Cheers

6. kyaw zaw htet
    April 19, 2011 at 1:11 pm

add this if u had facebook kzh.kevin@gmail.com..
    Gmail… kzh.kevin@gmail.com
    window live… kzh.kevin@gmail.com
    Thank u.. xD

7. hirdey
    June 22, 2011 at 7:11 pm

hello, iam coming to myanmar for few months and would be staying at traders hotel which is providing broadband internet. would i be able to open my gmail and yahoo sites? i have read the contents above and i wonder if the hotel internet can also provide proxy sites in case if iam not able to open gmail and yahoo on my own. What about facebook? can u operate ur facebook a/c easily? thanx:)

• June 23, 2011 at 5:47 am

Traders hotel might have strict internet policy. They might not provide proxy, or might even block it.

8. August 19, 2011 at 10:11 pm

မဂၤလာပါ။သူငယ္ခ်င္းမ်ားကုိၾကိဳဆိုပါတယ္။ကြ်န္ေတာ္ကသူငယ္ခ်င္းမက္ပါတယ္။

• mgjepkyi
      February 16, 2014 at 3:37 am

လူဆုိသည္​မွာတစ္​ဉီးတည္​း​ေနလုိ႔မရပါ။

9. August 19, 2011 at 10:19 pm

မဂၤလာပါ။သူငယ္ခ်င္းမ်ားကုိၾကိဳဆိုပါတယ္။ကြ်န္ေတာ္ကသူငယ္ခ်င္းေတြကုိခင္ခ်င္ပါတယ္။ကြ်န္ေတာ္gmailလိပ္စာက
    ့aungzawoogtc007.gmail@com ပါ။ခင္ခ်င္သူမ်ားဆက္သြယ္ႏုိင္ပါတယ္။

• jj
      October 7, 2012 at 6:13 pm

i want anew friend

10. michelle
    December 3, 2011 at 2:31 am

Hello Guys!
    I’m going to Minbu, and I would like to know if there is mobile internet there.

Also, if gmail, hotmail and facebook are being blocked.
    Somebody could tell me?

Thanks for the help!

• December 4, 2011 at 9:02 am

Mobile internet is still under testing in Myanmar. Facebook , YouTube and gmail are no longer blocked in Myanmar.

11. January 3, 2012 at 1:24 am

သူငယ္ခ်င္းမ်ားဆက္သြယ္နုိင္ပါသည္။

12. MM
    June 15, 2012 at 10:10 am

hello

My friend is travelling in Burma (Mandalay) im not sure if its hard to access the internet there?
    bc he never get back to me.

• June 17, 2012 at 7:20 pm

There are many internet cafes in Mandalay and gmail or yahoo mail is not blocked anymore. And internet cafe fees are also very cheap.

13. October 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm

14. AJAAN PAUL
    January 10, 2013 at 6:02 am

On entering Myanmar do we have to declare cash if it’s over 2,000.- or if it’s over $10,000?